Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have a 2007 Hybrid camry and just replaced my Brake pump

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Hybrid camry and just replaced my Brake pump assymbly. Can I bleed the brakes with the valve on top. It has 4 lines going out and 2 returning. It looks as if I should be able to do it from the valve on top. Also while doing it do i need to pump the brakes up?? I wouldnt think so being that it is a PUMP.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

welcome to just answer and allowing me to help you, you mean you replaced the brake master cylinder? We usually bench bleed them before we install them on the car , but not to fear can do now do it on the vehicle. leave the key in the off position and have someone press the brake pedal for you. pumping very slow a couple times then hold down . At this time crack the back line so fluid comes out, close line and redo until no bubbles appear, close that line and do the same for the front line. make sure you watch the fluid level in the reservoir not to get too low. now with both lines tight you have just bleed the master cylinder. now you have to bleed each wheel cylinder, starting at the furthest one from the master cylinder. these we will gravity bleed you may have to take a wheel off to do this. using a length of small hose that will fit tight on the bleeder screw the other end in a clear glass or bottle with some fluid so you can submerge the end of the hose in so you can watch for baubles. Now crack the bleeder open and let drain for a bout 5-10 min or until no bubbles appear. watch the level in the reservoir! repeat for all other wheels . if pedal feels good and firm your a winner ! if it's spongy then there is still air in the system and have to redo at the wheels Hope this helps you out. and good luck. please rate my answer thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I said 2007 Camry hybrid. It has an ABS pump which I changed out. A PUMP!!!!!!! Can you try and answer my question please????
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It also does not have a key. A push button start. Camry hybrid

well pardon me but some people do call the master cylinder a pump and that's why I put a question mark there . If you were to say the ABS actuator assembly then I would know exactly where we were at, it's all terminology as long as we're on the same page. And yes yours does have a push button ignition so leave that in off position and you can bleed that unit the same way as the master by cracking each of the four lines one at a time while applying brake pressure and tighten just before the release until no air present.and after that do each of the wheel calipers as I explained .Hope that clarify's things. if you need any more assistance let me know.

this may help you if you still have problems getting all the air out doing that way.

The Factory Procedure

With these systems, the correct way to bleed the ENTIRE vehicle is to employ a Dealer service tool (it usually looks like a Nintendo GameBoy) that allows you to cycle the ABS valves and/or the pump motor WHILE you are bleeding the brakes. In effect, this allows you to open the hidden passages in order to purge the fluid completely. Fresh fluid is then drawn into the ABS unit, and the old stuff can be flushed away with the rest of the mess. Nothing to it.

The end result takes a little more time than a conventional bleed, and requires you use a little more fluid, but looks like this:

Step 1 - Manually bleed RR, LR, RF, LF brakes
Step 2 - Install service tool and cycle all valves and/or pumps
Step 3 - Manually bleed RR, LR, RF, and LF brakes again

You end up having bled the system twice, but this is necessary to ensure that fresh fluid - and NOT used fluid - is drawn into the unit the next time that the ABS valves (and/or pump) are cycled.

The last way if you don't have the service tool or can't get one is to drive it in an area that you can stomp on the brakes hard enough to activate the abs , this will purge out any air then you have to still bleed each caliper as mentioned. hope this gives you enough fuel to do your job.try the gravity bleed first we have had success with that most of the time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for clearing up the terminology. Sorry if I offended you just frustrated a little. Will all the error lights stay on til I completely bleed the master cylinder and at each caliper?? Or should all the multiple lights and ABS error clear up when I replaced the bad abs pump. This is the 2nd part I have replaced in the last 2 months. The first one all the error lights went off as soon as I replaced it and I only had to bleed from the master cylinder and it worked perfect. It was a used part and all was good for about 45 days. Thanks again

Good morning again and no you didn't offend me i understand completely your frustrations . Hell we tech's get frustrated as well with all these high tech changes bombarding us, so lets work at this together and hopefully resolve your issues.Now first i reviewed your questions and didn't see any trouble codes so I f you don't mind sending me the ones your concerned about I can review them and better answer you. Also when you replaced the ABS pump assembly did you replace it as a whole unit with the module as well that's the electrical unit that sits on top of the pump unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
still waiting on answer to my last question from last week.

I did reply to that question requesting requesting any trouble codes and procedure to bleed the actuator.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question back to you was that when I replace the same part a while ago all the error codes disappeared and my car worked fine for months. The part I received went bad. I wanted to know if the error lifts are all supposed to go out when I replace it with the new part, or after I bleed all brake lines. I'm not going to waste time bleeding all brake lines if the part is back. The parts I am getting online are from working cars from parts companies. They all come with 12 month guarantee. I cannot afford to take it to Toyota. Minimum price to repair my car is 3,500. That is why I'm going this route
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Error code not error lifts.

actually the two ways to erase codes are either with a scanner or disconnect battery for more then 15 to 20 seconds.Is that all you need to know was how to erase the codes so the light don't return on? If the brakes work good and not a spongy pedal you don't need further bleeding as this system you can properly gravity bleed from the calipers.