Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Rear door latch failure...2009, Rav 4, I need to know how to

Customer Question

Rear door latch failure...2009
JA: What is the model of your '09 Toyota?
Customer: Rav 4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need to know how to keep it closed until someone can fix it. I wanted to drive it to Idaho (I"m in Montana) tomorrow - but it's draining the battery apparently - we almost got stranded 15 miles in the mountains yesterday with a dead battery. We had the door strapped with webbing but it was still opening and closing enough to activate the light.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: No, why fuses?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, it's a common problem with these cars. It is the latch inside the door - and needs replacement. But a short term "hack" would help a lot....
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** may I be of assistance to you. yes all things are in tailgate but you can disable it by pulling the rear door latch relay it will be marked on inside cover of the fuse block cover either in engine compartment or under left side kick panel. that will kill any power going to rear latch, then you should be able to operate it manually , that's if the latch isn't damaged give it a shot of WD-40 if you have the operator hand book it will show all fuse and relay locations. hope this temporary helps your situation, and if I can be of further assistance let me know. please rate my answer.