Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Security system truck won't start, Yes not corroded, 05

Customer Question

Security system truck won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes not corroded
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 05 tundra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes check all fuses
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Was running turned off, tried to start again won't start
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, and allowing me to help you. Lets begin with a few questions to get a picture of your problem. Does it turn over ?how old is the battery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battery is a couple of months and it won't even attempt to turn over I put the key in and nothing happens don't even hear the fuel pump turn on. I believe it might have to do with and anti theft issue cause it was running fine and then I pulled a relay out to switch and I went to recrank it and it won't crank or even attempt
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Waiting on response

is it an aftermarket anti theft unit? when you try to start it can you hear a faint click by the starter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Factory anti theft I just check the ignition switch I got power to all wires but no sound when trying to crank it ova

we don't usually have troubles with the factory anti theft but we do with the starters because of their location. give me a bit I want to check something for you.

Besides the emoboliser is to dissable fuel going to engine so it won't start not to stop cranking. can you locate the starter relay and jump it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is relay located

I'll send location and wiring schematic. If you jump it and it still doesn't turn over you may be in for a new starter, and that unless your very mechanically inclined won't want to tackle yourself. turns over because of it's location. It's under the intake manifold at the back of the engine.

also check the fuse that activates the relay first. ignition and engine fuse they should be inside fuse box driver's side

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Check all fuses good

OK now you go to the starer relay and jump it and see if the starter turns