Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I got 2003 gen 1 prius. It's charge the main battery very

Customer Question

Hi I got 2003 gen 1 prius. It's charge the main battery very low out put. About 13v. Where is the issue.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting, by main battery do you mean the hybrid battery or the 12 volt battery in the trunk?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hybrid not charging . I check the charging the system at 13volt out put

Thanks, ***** ***** any warning lights on? How did you verify that the hybrid battery is not charging are you charging it with a charger made for hybrid batteries?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Hybrid battery is fine but it does not charge is quick because there is no output how long to know what makes the Hybrid battery charging

On the display screen in the dash and with the info button pushed how many charge bars are on the display, anything over three means the battery is ok, it's charged when the engine is running and also when braking by the regenerative braking system, so on the display you should see power flow from the engine and brakes when applied to the main battery, as long as this happens it is normal, The hybrid battery does not charge fast. If there is something wrong with the charging system you will get a red warning light on. If no warning lights are on the computer determines that there is no problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The problem is when I use air conditioning the red warning light comes on and the car will not run it it won't it won't say no charging it shut the charging them I have the device that I plug into the cigarette lighter in and check the voltage and it says low output it it was fine it was charging fine I change that change the inverter running low

Plugging a voltmeter in the cigarette lighter only gives you the condition of the 12 volt battery not the hybrid high voltage battery which is about 280 volts DC. I think it would be best to have someone connect a diagnostic computer to the car to find out exactly what kind of trouble codes may be stored in the computer, if you can get this information to me it will help a lot.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok it be tomorrow thanx

Sounds good just reply here again.f

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I check there is no code. This morning the hv. Drain. Had trouble code p3191.

Thanks, ***** ***** engine start and keep running? This code means the engine did not start, it's not a hybrid battery code.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok it may sound confusing. It has been running fine. It's not HV Battery problem or the aux12v. Battery problem. Its charging slow. And when I use air conditioning it drain the Hv battery and then Hv battery drain all the way and warning shows on display PS Main Battery and Triangle. Then have turn the air conditioning off and wait until the HV.battery charge up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My main concern is what makes HV. Chatge. Because it missing some Charing and it's very slow charge.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know there is no Alternator in this car. But I want to know what kind of part make the system charge the batteries.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There no pending codes only what the HV. Battery is all the down. And I have wait until charge up then warning light goes by it self. So I have charging issue. Thanx
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you time today to think what is problem.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you be able to answer today