john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I was driving up a and lost a lot of power.Slight burning

Customer Question

I was driving up a hill and lost a lot of power.Slight burning rubber smell, No engine revving, a slight hum, couldn't get it above 30mph. Pulled over to inspect it and it wouldn't start again.the engine will cycle but not turn over. All lights still function.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: The light is on, but it has been on for years, there's a bad sensor so I jut ignored it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2003 matrix
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far, I'm in over my head. If I can find a solution I don't mind trying to fix it myself, but I'm not very knowledgable about cars.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The oil level has been alright for about 2 years, which I know sounds crazy, but I check it every few months. It looked decently clean as of 4-5 months ago, but earlier today it was very dirty
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.

any lights? manual or automatic trans?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Check engine, but that's been on for years. Supposedly a sensor issue. Manual transmission.
Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.

can you scan for codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope, but I just found a mobile mechanic in my area with pretty good reviews,so I think I'm just going to go to him. Thank you for your time though.
Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!