Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

I am having A/C problem it is a RAV4 2004, i took it to the

Customer Question

i am having A/C problem it is a RAV4 2004
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: i took it to the dealer and the said they checked it. then they claimed my compressor was going bad. when i push the ac button it starts for a few seconds and then starts to flash. if i repeatedly turn the button on and off then i can get the air to get cold.
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have tried a few thing. i unplugged the the compressor and then i sprayed the the connectors with electrical cleaner.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i also sprayed wd-40 on the pulley wheel and after i did this then the the ac started to work for a while then after a few hours started flashing again.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Ok, by the symptoms and what you have done so far that temporarily fixed it, the compressor clutch coil is failing and will need to be replaced. Due to the design and placement in the engine compartment, the compressor will need to come out of the vehicle in order to replace the clutch coil assembly, which means the ac system will need to be discharged, then vacuumed down and recharged after reinstallation of the compressor.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.