Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My turn signals and went out. relay or signal switch

Customer Question

my turn signals and flasher went out. flasher relay or signal switch problem? 2001 camary le
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 170000 yes. i did notice the clock was 2 hours o
JA: What is the model of your '168000 Toyota?
Customer: LE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses fix yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the car clock was off by 2 hours car started well
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did both the turn and hazard faults occur at the same time here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Pete, my husband just ran to pick up my son but should be back in 15 minutes. Yes the turn signals and hazzards went out at the same time. he checked the fuses and they were fine. he thinks it is the flasher relay but is not certain exactly where it is located on the 2001 camry LE. above the foot rest is where he thinks it is but it is hard to get out. can you tell us exactly where it is located? the manual that came with the car apparently is basic and does not show it. i think if he can speak with you that would be helpful. I see there is an option to have you call.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

There is an option for a call but unfortunately I am unable to place the call myself at this time here.I can continue to work here now or when he gets back if you like just let me know if this works for you.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am back
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Do you hear any clicking at all when trying to operate the turn signals or the hazard switch at all even a one time click under the dash at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the turn signals worked yesterday when i started the car this morning they did not work. the car clock was off by 2 hours. no clicking noise.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is it the flash relay or indicator switch and where is the flash relay located?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Below is a diagram with the location of the flasher on this model here for you.It isnt the best diagram but its all I show on this here.Locate this flasher and in some cases you can tap on it and the signals may work again or may work briefly.If they work again or work briefly then the flasher needs replaced.If they do not work and/or if this flasher is replaced and does not resolve the issue this can be a fault with the turn signal switch itself as this is a common component that will fail and cause this issue here.Electrical testing will need done to make sure the turn signal switch needs replaced.

It is located under the drivers side dash as shown.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the diagram is not very helpful. there is a fuse box located to the left of the steering column, but that only has fuses. there is a single black relay above and to the left of the foot rest that has a number of wires around it. would that be it?
lastly, it is definately not where the relays are in the engine correct?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what would be the connection of the clock being off 2 hours?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

It is not in the under dash fuse panel or under hood fuse panel.It is located to the left of the under dash drivers side fuse panel and is the only flasher that I show in that area.Below is a better diagram of it if this helps.

Is the clock set to the right time now and if so does it keep time now or reset 2 hours again each time you start the vehicle?