tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years

How to remove and replace the expansion valve on a 1997

Customer Question

how to remove and replace the expansion valve on a 1997 toyota camry v6. I have the factory manuals but I cannot remove the blower motor housing because I don't know to remove the vent connected to the housing. I need diagrams that show in detail how to get to the expansion valve
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 128,000 and no leaks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am drawing a vaccum on the low side which indicates a clogged expansion valve and my problem is getting the expansion valve, I have removed the glove box, ecm, blower motor, and some connectors. I have removed the screws on the motor housing, but cannot remove it because I don't know how remove the vent. The factory manual talks about two clips but I don't see these clips and I think the book is referring to the 4 cylinder model.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I need detail drawing showing the items I am trying to disconect.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Ok, here are the directions I have which dont mention any clips. I have attached the diagram as well

a. Cowl side trim
b. Front door inside plate LH
c. No. 2 lower cover
d. Glove compartment

a. Disconnect the connectors.
b. Remove the 2 nuts and ECM.

For installing the control cable, refer to "ADJUSTMENTS" of A/C CONTROL ASSEMBLY.
See: Air Door Cable, HVAC > Adjustments

a. Disconnect the connector.
b. Release the 2 claws and pull out the amplifier.

a. Disconnect the connector.
b. Disconnect the thermistor connector clamp.
c. Remove the 2 screws, bolt and nut, then remove the blower unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your diagram did not show the vent connected to the motor case. I have follows your instructions,but cannot remove the case because the vent is in the way. Is this vent removable and is removing the case a difficult job because of the various obstuctions.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I will have to opt out as I dont have any diagrams on the duct work. It has been a while since I have replaced an expansion valve on this year camry, but if memory serves, it is around a 4 hour job.

Expert:  tims auto repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help