scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

I am working on a 2005 Rav 4 with a 2.4L. Customer brought

Customer Question

I am working on a 2005 Rav 4 with a 2.4L. Customer brought it in on a tow truck. Said they were driving down the interstate and it started steaming and quit running. I checked the head gasket, looks fine.. No leaking nor oil in coolant or vise/versa. Compression was between 90 and 60 on all four cylinders. Assumed the tensioner was bad on the timing chain. After hours of replacing the timing chain, tensioner etc... It is still getting the same compression.. Really frustrated. Please help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I start by asking some questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yes

Were there any trouble codes stored in the computer before any repairs were made?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

no

And no trouble codes now that you've done the timing chain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello??

Yes, I was waiting for a respond about my last question? It was If there was any trouble codes now that the chain has been replaced?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, there was not

Has valve lash been check? If this was an over heat issue, it is possible that the lash tightened due to the over heat and the valves are being held open partially.

Also how was the coolant level? was it low, did the customer add coolant?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not that low. Radiator had about a gallon

And the Valve lash?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There really isn't any, it's not adjustable

Yes it is adjustable by removing cams and installing calibrated shims. There is a valve lash spec ( I will look it up shortly)( it may also say the lash adjustment on the hood sticker). What may have happened it the valve lash tightened up so much from overheating that it is pressing the valves open when they are supposed to be in the closed position.

See pic for specs

Hi, Just checking in to see if you were able to measure the valve lash?

Also I forgot to ask earlier if you did a wet compression check, after the dry one? If so what were the results. I'm not sure if you have, but do you have access to a cylinder leak down test? It may be more time effective to verify were the compression leak is coming from first, before checking the valves.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I will get back, I tore the engine back apart again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Just did a wet compression test and readjusted all the timing perfectly. Still only getting maybe 70 PSI. I don't have a leak down tester but if it were a crack in the head or a bad head gasket, the readings would not be so low on all four cylinders correct. Plus wouldn't there be some kind of leakage around the head gasket or milky oil or dirty coolant?

Have you taken a valve lash measurement?

Yes I doubt that it is a head gasket or crack, mainly looking to identify is the valves are leaking with the leak down test.

Measuring the valve lash may give an idea as to whats going on, specifically if one cam measures 0.0 valve lash.

With the 70PSI the engine doesn't event attempt to run( popping or stumbling?).

High there, did you get my last response? I'm just checking in to see if you needed further assistance with this concern?

Hi, Just checking in to see if you were able to measure the valve lash? Do you still need assistance with this?