Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2015 Highlander, does not have the smart key

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Highlander, does not have the smart key system. My car alarm keeps going off every 15 minutes or so for no apparent reason.
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: Not yet, I'll give it a try and see if that fixes it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all the doors and windows, made sure everything is closed correctly, then locked the car normally.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Haven't had any mechanical issues since I bought it new last year. Earlier today I noticed that the horn honked four times when I unlocked the car instead of the usual two times.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases what will cause this fault here is a fault with one of the door latches sending an incorrect signal on whether the door is latched or locked/unlocked.This sends a false signal setting off the alarm like this here and most common is usually the drivers front door as it is the door that is used the most.I have had to replace the latch before for issues like this here.

I would have the latch signals checked/tested to make sure this is the cause.This usually requires a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers to observe the door latch signals for any that need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete