Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

99 tacoma 3.4 liter replaced water pump and timing belt.

Customer Question

99 tacoma 3.4 liter replaced water pump and timing belt. When I tried to start engine it rus for 5 or 6 seconds then stops. I tighten fuel line and tred again engine runs for several seconds then almost stops then revs high again. I'm thinking timing adjustment.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Victor replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Double check the timing by removing just the top half of the timing cover to expose the cam gears. Once removed, rotate the crank pulley until the line on the crank pulley lines up to the "0" mark on the lower timing cover. Now look at both cam gears to see if the timing marks point up. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Victor. I removed top half of timing cover. Lined up 0 mark on lower timing cover. Both cam gears are pointing up and lined up with # 3 timing belt cover.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Victor it looks like the left timing mark is off just a bit to the left and the right timing mark is off a bit to the right.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are the yellow marks on the cam gears?