Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2007 Camry LXE that keeps blowing the 7.5A ECU IG

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2007 Camry LXE that keeps blowing the 7.5A ECU IG NO. 2 fuse located under the dash. BRAKE and ABS dash lights are, speedometer and temp gauge not working and cannot get it out of park. Nothing was done to the car prior to this happening. Got in one morning and dash lights were on. The ABS actuator has already been replaced.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Let's start with a quick check: Please depress the brake pedal and advise if the brake lights come on or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Brake lights are on

The brake lights on the rear of the car come on when you press the pedal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I press the brake pedal the brake lights come on

Has anything been spilled on top of the center console/shifter area? For the ECU-IG No 2 fuse to blow, the most common cause of this is a failure in the shift interlock solenoid. Ie something inside it failed /shorted out, or something spilled on it (it is under the shifter) and the liquid is allowing a cross-circuit. You can get the car out of park vioa the over-ride switch at the left of the shifter. I would have the shift interlock solenoid disconnected, and the fuse replaced. If the fuse does not blow, you need to inspect the shift interlock solenoid wire connector for cross circuits, or, if not issues found there, replace the shift interlock solenoid. This will require removal of the center console and the shift lever assembly; this is not an easy thing to do with no experience in this area; you might want to let a professional look at this if you are not experienced in this area.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am experienced and willl disconnect the solenoid.

ok. Thanks; please advise

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Disconnected the solenoid and the fuse blew as soon as the ignition went into the on position.

Interesting. Please disconnect your recently replaced ABS actuator and retest with another fuse.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still blew

Please disconnect the large wire connector on the front side of the transaxle; it is a 26 pin connector with three large pins; then retest. If the fuse blows the transmission ECU is suspected of being faulty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Transaxle disconnected. Few has blown again

Please disconnect the engine control computer under the dash on the passenger side and retest.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I realize I had not disconnected the correct connector on the transaxle. But am now disconnecting it. How does the connector unlatch? It's a tough angle and don't want to put pressure on it wrong and break it.

Remove the air filter and related tubing so you can get to the connector.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have, it's the battery tray that is in the way and making it difficult. Do I pull the connector latch straight out or turn it down so it's perpendicular to the connector?

I need to see the connector. I am not 100% sure on which way, because they are all different. Can your upload a pciture?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sure. Image attached.

Rotate and pull

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Transaxle and engine control computer disconnected. Fuse blown.

The only other unit on that fuse/circuit is the instrument cluster Auto trans shift position indicator (or if someone added something like a radio/amplifier/alarm system, etc), to that circuit and the Cruise control.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car doesn't have anything aftermarket. It's all OEM. I'll disconnect and test one after another and then follow up. Thank you.

ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Everything is disconnected except for the large bottom connector of the ECU closest to the passenger side. The images I can find of diagrams show that to be the cruise control module. Is that correct? The car will not power on without that connected. Can we jump the wires to bypass that module? I'd like to test the circuit with that removed to confirm whether or not it's problematic.

You do not want to jump wires. The cruise works on the CAN network. You start jumping wires you will fry the ECMs.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Has everything else been eliminated at this point? Can you confirm if that's ECU or cruise?

When the fuse stops blowing, that is the unit that is the problem. There is no machine or scan tool that "checks" the ecus for integrity disconnected from the car.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant do you know which one is which? There are two modules side by side. One facing driver's the other facing passenger.

The engine ECU is the larger of the two, with 4 wire connections on it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The ones that I unplugged had two connectors each. Both with one long connector.

The fuel injection computer will have solid red wires in the wire connector positions 1 and 2; the wires will be powered up with the key in the on position. 1 and 2 are in a block of 6 identical sized pins, different than the ones alongside; and above an identical block of 6 (with different pins alongside of these too.