Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

The dome lights are flickering, and dimly lit; and the power

Customer Question

The dome lights are flickering, and dimly lit; and the power locks are not working properly. They try, but there doesn't seem to be enough power. Is this a relay problem?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: I have not checked the manual.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 sienna ce
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have changed both the dome and door fuses, and have removed the main fuse/relay panel to look for obvious shorts, but did not find any.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just replaced the battery.Everything else works: Fan, A/C, power windows, power outlet, etc.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I see you have requested a live conversation; I will enable the necessary screen for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did not request a live conversation, but still am interested in an answer. ..

This sounds like you have a faulty door switch. The door switches (one for each door) allows a circuit to be completed to the dome light. As long as the dome light circuit is active, the door locks will not work (you cannot lock the doors with a door open this is how the controller 'knows' to not lock allow the doors to lock, via any type of voltage in the dome circuit). I would recommend you have each of the door switches checked. It is very likely that one of them is not breaking the ground circuit. This would also account for the flickering of the light; the switch provides a path to ground. If all of the switches are good, and cause the circuit to cease having a ground, the next place I would be looking would be the integration relay (commonly called the body computer). This is the unit responsible for sending power to the dome light. To test either of the above, measure voltage at the dome light. If you have full voltage that matches the battery, the integration relay is ok and you need ot check the ground circuits. Battery voltage (engine off), measured across the battery should be the same voltage at the dome light wire connector.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will start with the door switches, if you think that this is the likely problem. When I try to use them, they almost act in rapid action, but still fail to do the job.Thank you so very much for the advice, and I will let you know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to clarify: The door switches you are referring to are the ones in jambs, correct?

correct/ When the door closes, the switch causes the ground circuit to cease; thusly eliminating a complete electrical circuit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about the sliding doors? Could they be suspect as well? (And I apologize for being so needy--just trying to get it right)

Possible on the sliding doors. Ayy of the switches (rear hatch door too)cab cause this, they are all on the same circuit.

No worries about 'needy'..... We are here to help you.