Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I just bought a 97 4runner limited w/ a v6. Pretty sure the

Customer Question

I just bought a 97 4runner limited w/ a v6. Pretty sure the previous owner hooked up the battery cables backwards when changing the battery. Seems like that fried the 100A alt fuse, 15a dome light fuse, as well as 15a EFI fuse. Not certain the EFi fuse is related, but have done a little research and it seems common that something shorts out with the dome light fuse and some circuits tied into it. Haven't found an answer though. I replaced the 100a fuse and the 15a efi fuse, the car will run now but the fuel pump seems to be bad. It has power at the pump, maybe just coincidence that it went out or it was previously out. Every time I put a fuse in the dome light circuit it blows instantly. I'm curious if this is a known issue if someone hooks up a battery wrong or what all is on the dome light circuit so I can find the short. Thanks, Matt
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Hooking up the battery cables backwards will cause the ALT fuse to blow for sure, and can cause other fuses to blow also. A blown ALT fuse will not cause an additional short circuit that causes the dome light fuse to blow.

The items on the dome light circuit are as follows:

Radio memory

Automatic radio antenna

Tailgate courtesy switch

Instrument cluster

Cluster open door light

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer