Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

2013 Crew Cab Tacoma. The air conditioner will cycle on for

Customer Question

2013 Crew Cab Tacoma. The air conditioner will cycle on for exactly 5 sec and then cycle off for 8 sec. regardless of speed or any other conditions. It makes it impossible to get the cabin below about 86º when the outside temp is in the upper 90's. The unit was checked, evacuated, refilled with no change in results. What will make this compressor stay on longer?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Yes. The unit was totally serviced by a reputable A/C specialists and they say there is no blockage and the refrigerant level is where it should be.
JA: Are you fixing your Cab Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm attempting to fix it because taking it to a dealer has resulted in no change.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for allowing me to try and help you. First of all may I ask you a few questions so I can better understand where we are. Did anyone do a performance test on the A/C and what were the pressures on the low and high side?when a/c not running and when running? I need those measurements to go further.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
System evacuated and refilled. I did not get the readings. With my dumb gauge it shows 45 psi on low when running and in the red when comp. shuts off.

ok this may be difficult with no readings but lets give it a shot if it cycles like that it's an indication of 1-- improper charge (over charge) if low on suction side and over high on pressure side there is a blockage in the pressure side ,usually at the expansion valve, if it's equal on both sides then there is a internal leak in the compressor. all those will contribute to the pressure sensors giving the A/C amplifier the wrong readings to if all those pressures check out good , then look at the drive belt for slippage and or the RPM sensor on the compressor, all these will trigger your cycling problem. So you see how important reading these pressure with a good gauge or A/C station are. I'm quite surprised who ever charged it didn't do the performance test and check it's operation . hope this helps and good luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the same generic answer that is available on every Toyota forum without cost. There was a performance test. There is no blockage according to the A/C expert that tested the system. The compressor and coils were operating normally according to him but he could not tell me why it short cycled to produce an ineffective A/C system. That is why I turned to Just Answer.

ok but to make any kind of assessment one needs to know that the basics are tested and up to snuff first, and if the person that charged your system was a A/C expert he would know how to fix it and know the steps it takes to isolate the issues to get to the problem. I never assume things were done right until I either check them myself or get a second opinion. But if you have faith in these things were done correct, then there are three things that can cause a short cycling as you describe and that is the pressure sensing switch and the RPM sensor , these both have inputs to the amplifier which is like a computer so garbage in garbage out as it were. test and replace these items first before you condemn the amplifier cheaper and easier to do. Depending on the type of compressor on you vehicle the RPM sensor may either be internal or external. you can find that out at a dealer if you can read the part number on the compressor or by the vehicle's vin number. if you need further help let me know , good luck.