Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2001 Toyota sequoia battery is drained while the car is

Customer Question

My 2001 Toyota sequoia battery is drained while the car is running and then the car dies. After I charge the battery it starts and runs until the battery is drained and then dies again. Alternator and battery have been removed and tested. Both are ok. Car has 210,000 miles and first time this is occurring. No corrosion on battery connections.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 4 months ago.

Sounds to me like the the battery isn't getting charged for some reason. Do you have access to a volt meter. If so, can you tell me what the battery terminal voltage is while the truck is running. We need to see a voltage reading of 13.5-14.5 Volts while the engine is running and charging the battery. If you get anything different, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will Check and get back to you

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Eric,I re-installed the starter and battery and checked voltages across the battery with and without the car running. 12v not running and 14+ with the car running. The volt meter in the car also reads ~14.5.Any suggestions on what to check next on what could cause the batter to drain and the car to stall?

I am going to do a little more research. Your charging system check is spot on where it should be.

I am going to dig a little deeper to see what I can come up with.

In the mean time will you answer the following questions for me.

All connections from the battery to the alternator are tight?

Is there any check engine or other warning lights illuminated?

Have any accessories been added to the vehicle ie. radio, off road lights, trailer wiring harnesses etc....