Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2002 tundra sr5 battery went dead battery is almost new, now

Customer Question

2002 tundra sr5 battery went dead battery is almost new, now they told me it would not pass smog
it had to do with the computer wouldn't reboot. They told me to drive 150 miles which I did it didn't come
back on line. Toyota wants $200.00 to do something to it which they would not tell me what it was they
were going to do.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The actual thing you need are the individual monitor values reset. The computer in this vehicle does not 'reboot', not can the dealer reboot it. The monitors may not be resetting because the vehicle was not driven in the fashion that causes the monitors to reset, or, there are pending Diuagnostic Trouble codes (or hard codes) in the memory of the computer diagnostics. The monitors do not reset after driving 150 miles straight. You need to drive ti simulating Idle, city traffic (stop and go; like stop light sequences, and then highway speeds with passing gear. This takes 2 drive cycles to complete. Drive it, let it cool off overnight, repeat the drive, let it cool off overnight. If all of the systems pass the self-test, and there are no pending codes, the monitor will reset. If not, there may be a software update available; that would be the process that they are charging you the 200 dollars for. I would recommend you get it scanned (for pending codes) with the Toyota scan tool (some generic scanners do not provide pending information). If there are pending codes, that would need ot be rectified before anything else can be done. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I bought a unit that plugs into the the tundra it said no mil and the smog outlet said that there was nothing wrong except
the computer would not come back on.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a time element, so your recommendation is to drive the truck around town. Can you tell me how long or give me some
kind of idea so I can re smog it again.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.
10 miles of city traffic and 20 miles of highway traffic on two consecutive days should be what you need.