sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Rear drivers side floor gets wet after rain... carpet/mats

Customer Question

rear drivers side floor gets wet after rain... carpet/mats wet and smells like wet dog
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 Highlander
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: have playted with rubber seals in window... nothing else yet
Category: Toyota
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, sorry you are having these problems. lets try having someone sit in the vehicle while someone else uses a hose and sprays water over it simulating some rain. see if you can pinpoint the area where its coming in that way.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked and front passenger floor as well as both rear floorboards are soaked. Water comes up from pressing down. Not on Driver's side. heard couple things...could be air-conditioning vent? or window leaks? seem to notice only after rain, however.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
at work now, could try tonight

does the highlander have a sunroof?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no sunroof.

ok. well try as i suggested and let me know the results. have a good day

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

sounds good

any luck?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no leak from the hose on the window... however, i had wetvacced the floor last night, dry... and under mats was wet, even in front passenger seat. this morning wet again, no rain. was told could be a air conditioner vent under carpet on front passenger side...ideas?

under the vehicle, on the passenger side near the firewall there should be a drain tube. when you are running the ac, does water drip onto the ground after a few minutes? if not, stick something up in the drain tube to unclog it..ill try to find a pic of its location

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, i'll check.

here you go. it look as though its just a hole. not a tube

any luck finding it?

hello????

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The water could be coming from the drain tube but it may also be coming from a door seal, a body sheet metal seam, roof rack mounting fastener holes, the windshield or back glass.

Does the water only accumulate when using the a/c?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not certain, but has been 85-95 in NY and haven't really driven without the A/C in a while. I used to notice it after a rain, but then could have been the dampness outside matching the dampness inside. It does seem to be on the front passenger side and runs under seat to back row... not on drivers side front... the mat on the front passengers side was damp on bottom from top to bottom... but carpet was soaked through only by foot area of front passenger and back row behind front seats... the rubber stripping is loose and comes up under the luggage rack, was unsure if I "FlexSealed" it if it would cause venting problems.

IF it seems to be originating from the right front floorboard and the a/c has been used consistently then it would definitely be a good idea to start with the a/c drain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I saw a video youtube, cadillac, under carpet on front passenger side... is the drain there? or under car... found several holes but nothing that i could say was an a/c drain

The drain will need to be accessed from outside the vehicle. It will be low on the firewall and is usually accessed from underneath.