john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

The unit will not start. Took it to the Body shop for some

Customer Question

The unit will not start. Took it to the Body shop for some front end Deer collision repair and when they were working on it the third time they tried to start it it would not fire. Codes say Crank Shaft position error along with circuit faliure.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor, that's a Bitch .... , tried to start it and it hit once then nothing.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Yes, Cables are in good shape, it will crank all day. 2006 Tacoma Base 4.0 V6 manual trans.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Working on it myself, yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, day before yesterday the Body Shop tried to start it and it fired right up, they started and stopped it 3 times. Yesterday it would not fire one time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

was the impact from the collision on the pulley side of the motor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
John, there was no engine compartment damage, did not have to replace the Radiator support. The only damage was Grill, and Bump. We did replace the Air Bag sensor.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not, the unit started day before yesterday but would not start yesterday.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Talked to one of my customers yesterday and he reported that he had similar trouble with one of his. It turned out to be the Chip in the Ignition Key. We tried our spare key yesterday and still nothing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Note, the motor will roll all day trying to start just not firing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm wondering along with many other possibilities, Computer, Ignition switch? All of the Error codes were Crank sensor errors or Cam shaft sensor error.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello ........
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

the crank sensor code points to either the crank sensor or the wiring to the crank sensor i would have the harness for the crank sensor inspected it is on the bottom of the motor on the pulley side. due to that code i doubt its any of the other things you mentioned. when you get a trouble code like that its usually pretty accurate as to where the failure is

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello again John, note your help is appreciated but to honest the answer is just stating the obvious, no disrespect. I'm trying to come up with any thing you might have run across in you work that might contribute to the problem like a Cam sensor problem that might be read as a Crank Shaft sensor error or a combination causing the Crank shaft error. Thats why I'm asking about a possible ignition switch malfunction. I already eliminated the Ignition Key Chip by trying my spare key, unless it it is bad also. It is an odd thing that it will start some times and run fine but other times it might hit once and not again for quit some time. Any way thanks for your time.
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

i have never seen a ignition switch cause this concern in my 25 plus years of automotive..it honestly sounds like a connector issue at the sensor or a chaff in the harness...which would cause your intermittent concern.. i have also seen hairline cracks in the sensor causing this...when a crank or cam sensor has failed it will cause loss of spark and or injector pulse... if it was a key or switch error or a pcm you would likley have a security code... sorry to sound like mister obvious.. just there is no point going on a wild goose chase when you have a cam or crank sensor issue

Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.