scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

I recently worked on a 2003 Sequoia and was getting codes

Customer Question

Hello! My name is***** recently worked on a 2003 Sequoia and was getting codes P1441, P1444, and P2440. I tested the air valves and one in particular was blowing air before I applied voltage to it, also another (I believe bank 2 no.2) was leaking air as well. I actually recommended the replacement of both valves in the rear, the valve attached to the air pump and the air pump itself. I replaced all of those components and test drove the car. No codes were present at the time of the repair. The car is having battery problems as of now but, after a week of sittng and moving it occasionally, the codes P1443, P1445 and I believe P2440 are active this time.
Is there anything else I can test that can confirm these valves are stuck closed? They were initially stuck open.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 10 months ago.

Did you check the basics? Stuck closed would indicate electrical connector left off or vacuum line left off. The P1443 would suggest vsv was not working, is the vsv plugged in? If it is, try doing and active test with the vsv plugged into a noid light, I have had two of these with a failed ecu circuit not powering the vsv. Active test can only be preformed when the car is cold, to prevent damaging the catalytic converter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try this in the morning. I'll keep you updated.
Expert:  scionking replied 9 months ago.

Any luck with this vehicle? Were you able to confirm everything was connected?Or were you able to confirm noid light operation from vsv connector?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just got into my shop. I opened the hood of the Sequoia and noticed immediately the vacuum hose for the two vsv's on the manifold was plugged into the intake box right after the MAF and the Fuel pressure regulator hose was not connected at all. According to the hose routing diagram, I had the VSV hose connected to where the Pressure Regulator hose was supposed to be. Where do I need to connect the hose that leads from the two VSV's on top of the manifold to?

Let me look for a diagram of this.....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright I'll be waiting

Plastic manifold or aluminum on this?

Intake manifold that is

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Plastic manifold.

OK below Ive attached a picture of VSV's with hoses. Please confirm that the hoses from the air valves connect to the lower port of vsv's as shown. Also confirm top port of vsv's connect to metal line. Fuel pressure damper hose connects as shown( this is not actual a vacuum port so may be why vsv's didn't work if they wer connected to it). The red arrow rubber vacuum line from vsv to drivers side of intake box( cant find an actual picture of connection). Let me know if this is how its all connected now. I'm looking a picture of vsv vacuum port connection now.....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That was the hose. Although, I've found that the port to connect that hose was underneath the manifold. I cleared the codes, and ran an active test with the engine on. No codes were present after the hoses were reconnected and test was run.

I guessing this is a customers car? With a return problem like this, I usually try to get the customer to let me keep the vehicle for a few days and drive it to complete a few drive cycles from a cold start, just to confirm that the issue was resolved. If you have any other follow up question regarding this issue please let me know. Thank you for using just answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well it actually never left the shop but, I will update you on how things turn out.