sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a key fob that doesn't work. It won't do anything?

Customer Question

I have a key fob that doesn't work. It won't do anything? It's for a 2013 Prius v.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: How?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to fix myself. I'm 1 hour away from a dealer. I've tried nothing...I didn't want to break it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it. The fob doesn't work.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have a single fob not working it could be a failure of the fob itself or a dead battery in the fob. The first thing that will need to be done is test the battery or replace it. If you have a digital voltmeter you can remove the battery and check it's voltage.

If the battery is good or the fob still doesn't work after replacing it then the fob should be tested and if it isn't transmitting then it will need to be replaced. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will test key fobs for free.