Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

My toyota campy 2007 won't reverse it only has a lower

Customer Question

My toyota campy 2007 won't reverse it only has a lower mileage
JA: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?
Customer: 2 .4 LE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was told to try reach out my hand to the lower part of shift gear located in the transmission but I can't locate where to reinstate back to its position.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: It might be the problem, I added some fluid yesterday but no changes .I fear the price that awaits me as I am completely boke.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think the Transmission is f**ked up coz it does shift to reverse position without sliding.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 months ago.

Do you know if the fluid is full for sure? Does it work in reverse at all? If you manually shift if from Low to drive will it move forward up to speed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the drive shift D4 works good with me.the gear shift does not slide..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told by a friend I need to reach my hand to Gear linkage to reset it but I don't know where the linkage is located.

If the shifter is not moving the shift mechanism it will go into reverse. But typically if it gets to drive and drive works normally than it has to go past reverse to get to drive. At that point I wouldn't think that it is a shift cable however click the illustration I have attached this shows the lever directly below the air intake. You will have to remove the plastic intake scoop covers to get to the shift cable the red line indicates the direction of the shift cable it wraps over the top of the transmission and up to the firewall. If the shift cable is moving normally the problem is in the transmission if the fluid is full and you still have no reverse this is strictly a mechanical/hydraulic connection.