Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

The trunk release will not open the trunk lock nor will the

Customer Question

The trunk release will not open the trunk lock nor will the ignition key
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: yes it has a remote key fob with a trunk release but that doesn't operate it either. I have access to the trunk from the back seat. Is there a release inside?
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2002 solara convertable
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A friends car that hasn't been opened in a year. 1st goal is open the lid. 2nd repair the latch/lock
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have access to the trunk from the back seat but I can't fit into the space
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Look on the interior side panels of the trunk for a grab handle to pull to release it.Some models have this and some do not.Since it will not open with the key or the fob/electronically this sounds like the latch itself may be at fault needing replaced.I have seen some of these fail in the past before needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete