Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years

I have a Toyota Avensis T180 D4D which intermittently emits

Customer Question

I have a Toyota Avensis T180 D4D which intermittently emits white or blue smoke. This new never occurs when engine is cold. The problem starts as normal operating temperature is approached. The first smoke seen is normally white but after reaching normal temperature and when driving at constant speed between approx 1800 and 2200 rpm changes to intermittent blue puffs which occur at 3 to 5 second. intervals.
The problem is much less evident when ambient temperatures are above 20 degrees.
Following slow urban driving a long period of blue smoke occurs when accelerating to normal cruising speeds. consumption is not excessive and there is no evidence of power loss.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: 160k miles.All filters replaced
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Avensis T180 D4D 58 plate one of the first to be fitted with DPF.
Turbo and DPF have been Recently replaced.
JA: What year is your Fitted?
Customer: Do not understand question.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a local garage frying to identify problem.
I have done 6000 miles and continue to drive with no problems.
It is just that the smoke is annoying
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

If the cars has a high oil consumption and struggles to The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve -

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is not high oil consumption it is surprisingly low but I will obviously check out your suggestion and get back to you.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't locate the valve and my mechanic says there is not one fitted to this engine.
Can you provide more information please ?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

this image may help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have checked and there is no pcv valve fitted to this engine as stated by Toyota.
The engine is a 2.2 diesel manufactured of the first to be fitted with DPF.
Do you have any other suggestions.
Best regards.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello Mike

OK another possibility is that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off