Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have 2004 rav4, the other day while on highway. The car's

Customer Question

I have 2004 rav4, the other day while on highway . The car's svc light came on the car swerved to the right. Also alarm came on , the whole thing lasted about 30 seconds very scary. What would cause this to happen ?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Svc light on dash board ,, it shows a car with 2 zig zag like lines !
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to figure out what happened . Problem is inconsistent . Hasn't happened fo 2 days so far .
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The car has about 145,000 miles on it maybe a sensor is faulty . But l will check rotors and tires in meantime !
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You need a scan tool to get the codes. An all systems scan would be best. Anytime a dash light comes on it means that there is a code stored in the system.

This problem is impossible to diagnose without codes. A simple code reader will not work for this, you need a shop quality scan tool. Code readers are not able to get into other system besides the engine.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do not have scan tool, so therefore this conversation is useless at this moment ,Dan sorry !
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Let me know what you find out.