Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

My check engine, vsc and trAc off lights all came on this

Customer Question

My check engine, vsc and trAc off lights all came on this morning. I have a 2004 toyota Sienna...we are traveling, what should I do?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't done anything....have no idea
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that is it need to know if it is safe to drive...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im far as the trac and vsc lights, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reconnect. they should go out. if they come back on, the vehicle is still safe to drive until you take it somewhere to be diagnosed. for the check engine light, take it to advance auto and they will scan it for free and give you thecodes. let me know what codes come up

any update???

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

The tech you were relpying to has opted out, to answer your question of whether it's safe to drive, most likely yes, the skid control and traction control however are disabled as long as the check engine light is on, as long as you drive in a normal manner there are no adverse effects on driving. If the engine is running normally with no loss of power then the check engine light is most likely due to an emission control related fault, by the way, disconnecting the battery will clear the diagnostic information for the engine but this also erases any diagnostic codes until the fault returns, as soon as the check engine light goes off the other lights will go out as well.

If you got fuel recently make sure the gasc ap is on tight, a loose or missing gas cap is a very common problem for check engine lights, make sure the oil and coolant levels are ok, then there are two choices, clear the lights by disconnecting the battery and keep driving or just keep driving until you get to a city that has an Autozone store or O Reilly and they will read the diagnostic codes for you at no charge, they will in most cases give you some idea as to what's wrong and what should be done, if you have any other questions regarding the DTC info please contact me here.