Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

My 2005 Corolla won't start, the lights come on but when I

Customer Question

My 2005 Corolla won't start, the lights come on but when I turn the key nothing happens.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Can't turn the steering wheel but a couple inches, the wheels aren't moving. No the key is fine. I tried multiple times yesterday and it eventually started up. I did this twice yesterday. I haven't had any luck with it today though.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I hope to. I'm thinking it's the starter possibly being that it's 165,000 miles and it's still the original starter. I've looked at the wires underneath the steering wheel and the connections under the hood. I sprayed the connections under the hood with oil. I don't have a diagnostics tool.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: THe battery is only a couple months old.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So if you have a volt meter or a test light I can explain how to test it to see if it is the starter. But if you don't have that then we will be just guessing. Now from your description it sounds like the starter is the problem. But it still can be the PRNDL switch (Nuetral safety switch) or the ignition switch. But most likely the starter.
If you have a volt meter or test light then as some one is trying to start it test and see if you have voltage at the small wire that is plugged into the starter. If you have voltage at the small wire when someone is turning the key but it doesn't turn over then your starter is bad.Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.Thanks
Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny

do you still need help with this? please let me know.

Thanks
Sonny