Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I have a 2000 Tacoma. The AC is coming out of defrost and

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Tacoma. The AC is coming out of defrost and vents. It is stuck there. I can not get it to blow air only out of vents or floor etc. It is stuck.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: It is not a Freon thing. It is an airflow issue. I want the air to only blow out of the vents, not the defrost.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Turning the knob. And yes would like to fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

This is a mechanical cable operated system, the knob is attached to a cable which connects underneath the dash on the left side to an air direction door, while turning the knob look under the dash, you may have to move the carpeting out of the way and you will see a couple of control cables which connect to operating levers on the air duct box, one of the cables may have become disconnected, usually the metal clip that holds it on pops off ,if that all it is just reconnect it, move the knob all the way to one side and then the lever in the same direction and put it back on and secure the cable housing with the metal retaining clip then make sure it moves all the way in either direction.