Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2008 Toyota Tundra. All of sudden will turn over but won't

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: 2008 Toyota Tundra. All of sudden will turn over but won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Battery is fine. It turns over very strong.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes if possible. Thought it might be antitheft chip in key. It's not. Suspect fuel pump relay?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's about it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a code reader to check for malfunction codes in the engine control computer? When you turn the key to the on position does the yellow check engine light come on? When it is cranking over and not starting did you check for ignition spark from one of the ignition coils? Are you getting fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately I do not have a code reader. I do not see any error's thrown on display when I try to start.The yellow check engine light does come on.Unfortunately, I do not know how to check for ignition spark or fuel pressure. I would assume this requires specialized equipment. I don't have it but am willing to buy it if need be.

Checking for spark does not take special equipment it just takes a little time to pop one of the ignition coils out which is held in by a 10 mm bolt. If you have an extra set of hands with the coil pack plugged into the connector use a screwdriver in the end of the coil pack hold the shank of the screwdriver close to something grounded on the valve cover and have somebody crank it over and see if the spark will jumped at least 3/8 of an inch. The fuel pressure is a different issue you need a pressure gauge and special adapters you could always crack the fuel line was coming up to the fuel pressure rail and see if it will pump fuel into a container if it has good volume chances are it has good pressure. Ideally we need to start with a code reader. You can purchase a generic code reader from most parts stores these days for less than $60 Amazon sells a really nice one for $60 I can recommend if you're interested. There are multiple things that can cause a no start condition. Getting the codes is the first place to start depending on the mileage you could also be running into compression issues depending on if this is a 4.7 L or 5.7 L engine there may be a timing or timing chain issue. Let me know how you like to proceed.

Here is one I use for quick checks and it does some live data.

https://www.amazon.com/Launch-Tech-301050074-Creader-Scanner/dp/B0050VONTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469819756&sr=8-1&keywords=creader+vi

Any luck on this yet?