Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

I just cut my car on and it's jerked really bad and stalled

Customer Question

Hello, I just cut my car on and it's jerked really bad and stalled then the traction off light came on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Toyota solara sale v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bent tried anything it just happened and I don't know anything about cars I just wanted to get an idea of what's going on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My check engine light is on I put it on 2 machines the codes came back as me needing a tune up
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Engine?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 months ago.

Is the vehicle currently running right now or will it start up and run? Do you have the specific code number Set in the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's running fine after that light came on
Can you get the malfunction codes using a scan tool or code reader? If you don't have one most auto parts stores do this as a free service. Can you get those code numbers to me so I can help figure out what's going on?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can but it'll take me about 10-15mins

That is fine I'll still be here get the code numbers and post them back as you have been replying to me do not open another question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0
304,P0305, P0306, P0171, P0174 p0420
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Those are the codes that came up and I was told I need a fuel injector

How many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

First an explanation of these codes. The P0 300 code through P0 306 are misfire codes. This is probably a result of the P0 171 and P0 174 codes which means the engine is running lean on both banks. 90% of the time this is caused by either an intake leak in the induction boot or a vacuum hose being off or the most common problem is the mass airflow sensor being contaminated. Remove the mass airflow sensor from the induction boot/air cleaner assembly and look down into the extension housing there are two tiny resistors in there that should be clean and shiny what you'll find is they are contaminated with dirt and grit. Clean those little resistor wires with brake cleaner or mass airflow sensor cleaner than reinstall. Remove the negative battery cable for about five minutes to erase the codes and reset the learned value in the computer. This should resolve the lean condition problem. The P0420 code means that bank one catalytic converter is below the threshold required to meet federal admissions standards. This usually means the converter is failing but before you get into that problem deal with the lean problem. It's possible blinking that it could be setting a false P0420 code. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided you at three or higher and if you need additional assistance feel free to reply and I will get back to you. It's not likely that the injectors are the issue they very rarely fail on this engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure where the mass flow air sensor is even located I got new motor mounts put on yesterday and the vacuum hose was lose they had to retighten it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
maybe I just track to reset the computer and see if the light goes off?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Try *

That would be the first thing to start with removing the negative battery cable to clear the codes. Then see what codes come back first make sure they repaired all of the intake leaks. the mass airflow sensor is mounted in the intake air boot housing. If you're not familiar with that I probably wouldn't mess with it.