Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2007 Prius touch screen and part of instrument panel dead

Customer Question

2007 Prius touch screen and part of instrument panel dead (the part directly above the touch screen) 12V battery just went out and was replaced.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: The dealer did it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not sure if I want to fix it. Just wondering why both the touch panel and part of the instrument panel are both dark. Initially, the gas gauge also went nuts, but when the battery was changed, it was okay.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 months ago.

Was the Problem ever evident before the battery change? How many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The panel and touch screen failure were concurrent with the batter failure. No other issues before that. The gas gauge went wonky at the same time, but that was fixed when the battery was changed. The car is close to 70,000.

Is the battery fully charged at this time even though it is a new battery? Can you post a picture of the instrument panel showing the displays that are not illuminated when the Ready light is on

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's a photo...The battery has been driven maybe 30 miles.

Make sure the display does not have a business card or piece of paper up against it. That is a reflective image that you see. If a piece of paper slides down inside the flat portion of the display will block the letters or make it look black. Do any of the buttons on the monitor allow the monitor to light up or activate? Can you power on the radio and get any sound out of it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually, sorry, the instrument panel is okay on startup - I am just used to seeing more lights on it (like the air recirculating indicator) that might not be showing because my touch screen doesn't work. Have you ever seen a failed 12V battery knock out a touchscreen before? It did make my gas gauge go all nuts. And I only have 70,000 miles on it.

I have never seen a 12 battery cause the display to not function or do anything unusual except causing the warning on the dashboard to put the car on a level surface and set the parking brake because the parking engagement mechanism requires at least 12 V to put the vehicle in park. As a test about the only thing you can do would be to remove both battery cables from the 12 V battery. Isolate them from the battery then take a jumper wire and jump across the two terminal ends this will do a hard reset on the system and drain all of the memories from the computers. Also check all of the fuses. There are fuses under the hood fuse box and fuses under the left side of the instrument panel. In some rare cases it can pop fuses When the 12 V battery fails or something spikes in the system. Let me know What you find with the fuses after about five minutes of the battery cable ends being jumpered together remove the jumper and install the terminals on the battery and ready to vehicle on and see if the display comes back after you check all the fuses. If the fuses are all good and the hard reset does not bring the display back it's possible the display has failed.