Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

While replacing the thermostat I was using a screw driver

Customer Question

while replacing the thermostat I was using a screw driver that sparked on a wire on the AC unit. It blew the 30amp CDS fuse which I replaced. Now I get nothing. I also, while checking that out, found a disconnected red wire that has one end attached to a plug on the side of the starter
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes two in the engine compartment and one under the dash on the driver side
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1991 Celica GT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I changed the fuse so far and noting
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The headlights and dome light will go on. Other than that-nothing!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Do the lights on the dash turn on with the key on?

Does the engine crank over at all?

There are two connections on the starter, the small wire comes from the ign switch or starter relay and connects to the solenoid, the large red cable is connected directly to the positive battery post, is it connected at both ends?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No lights in dash. Engine does not crank with the key. Red wire is only connected to the starter. If I touch the red wire to the battery it cranks without the use of the key and will run

Thanks for the reply, disconnect the small solenoid wire from the starter, does it still cran over without they key?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only wire i can see coming from the starter is a thick (1/8") black wire. That wire has a red wire same thickness spliced into it and that is the one I can touch to the pos battery terminal and the engine turns over. There also is a black and white wire an orange wire and a red wire going to what looks like a breaker (is that the solenoid?) and ends there. The orange and red wires are not connected to anything else.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only one wire i can see from the starter

There is a smaller wire connected to the starter solenoid. Disconnect this one at the starte then connect he large red wire to the battery and see if it still turns over by itself.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These wires go to a relay.
Could it be the engine fuse?

In the fuse box under the hood there is a large 100A fuse, check this fuse, it may be blown, check it with a test light or voltmeter. I'm not sure hat the problem is right now, it sounds like those wires you mentioned earlier that ere spliced in are for a remote start or some kind of alarm system which may have been removed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you show me a picture of the solenoid wiring please?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Looks like a relay they go to to me.

did you check that fuse?

a2b78c99-1573-446c-9345-5fc41f8e19ff_98.pdf

copy and paste this link into your browser it's a wiring diagram of the starting system

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
THE 100 AMP FUSE IS FINE

What about the AM1 25A fuse on the inside fuse panel, does it have power t both contacts on top of the fuse?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IT WAS THE 100 AMP FUSE. IT'S FINE NOW BUT MAN THAT WAS A BITCH GETTING THE OLD ONE OUT.THANKSSorry for the caps

That's why I wanted to check it first, have replaced a few myself, at least you got it fixed, I'd appreciate if you could leave a positive rating so we can close this out, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
will do thanks

Good luck.

In order to rat my answer and so I get credit for helping you please click on one of the rating icons, thank you.