Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2008 Rav4 when I use the auto setting on the a/c I

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Rav4 when I use the auto setting on the a/c I get water leaking from under dash on bot passenger and driver side.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a 2008 Rav4 when I use the auto setting on the a/c I get water leaking from under dash on both passenger and driver side.
Expert:  Clayso replied 11 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the evaporator drain is clogged and not allowing the condensate to drain from the evaporator case. On the passenger side under the dash behind the carpet is the drain from the evaporator case to the body. Make sure this drain is clear, when the drain is clear there will be condensate now dripping on the ground at the passenger side behind the front wheel.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 11 months ago.

The air flow through the evaporator case changes when the A/C is on AUTO the intake air is on recirculated air mode. Toyota issued a service bulletin in April 2014 concerning a clogged evaporator drain. The service bulletin is in the link below.

2008 Toyota Rav4 T-SB-0033-14

The TSB is mostly concerned about insects causing the blockage, but anything that could be drawn into the evaporator case through the recirculation vent can stop up the evaporator case drain. May also be a good time to check and or replace the cabin air filter.

I hope this information is helpful. Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Thanks.