sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

All the dash lights click on and off rapidly. Relays

Customer Question

All the dash lights click on and off rapidly. Relays clicking all over the place. Wont' start
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: *everything* is blinking together.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1997 Toyota Avalon
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried jumpstarting - no luck.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It ran just fine earlier in the day...
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a wiring, power distribution or cable/connection issue but with these symptoms I would first suspect low battery voltage. Due to variables like jumper cable quality, connections, and the actual failure in the battery a jump start isn't always reliable. If connections are clean and tight then I would recommend having this battery load tested or swap in a known good battery if one is available, or if you have a digital voltmeter we can do a few tests to get a better idea of the battery's actual condition.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That doesn't really tell me much...

I gave the starting point for diagnosis. You either need to have the battery load tested or if you have a voltmeter we can do some testing to get a better idea of the battery's actual condition.