Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I had bought and new fobs 2005 Sequoia. Both keys work to

Customer Question

I had bought blanks and new fobs for my 2005 Sequoia. Both keys work to open/lock doors. I tried multiple times to program the keys to turn on the truck with no success. I then started trying to program the fobs. I got one to work but it does not open the back window and the button inside the truck to lower window is not working. When I purchased the SUV I only received one key which I believe also rolled down the back window. now not even my original key not open the back window. So I have one key and fob that works the entire truck, less the back window open/close, and have 2 keys and one fob that do not work at all. Can you help? I live in florida and doing these different fixes with the windows up and a heat index of 500 degrees doesn't help. Thanks
JA: Did the fob come with the vehicle, or did you buy a blank?
Customer: I bought a blank which looks exactly like my 99 4Runner fob.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the instructions that came with the keys plus other fixes on the net ie press gas petal x times brake petal x times open close door x times insert key wait for security light to quit blinking etc.. some on the net says it took them 8-9 tries to get their solution to work. Prior to buying the blanks of keys and fobs I called one dealer that said no fob was made for that truck and the other dealer said I was looking at $500+ to program and key.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: its a limited without nav but has upgrade stereo and heated seats etc my husband got the one fob working but we had done so many instructions he did not remember exactly which one he did when it started working. Also is it possible that we blew the fuse for the back window, since neither key, fob or button inside will open it?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Anything after market wired in at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not that I am aware of
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would it be easier for me to talk to you on phone via headset in truck with keys in hand
than to chat
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this myself at this time and I apologize for that but we can continue here if this is o.k.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's fine but I'm at my pc in house truck in garage
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I suppose I could take my phone to truck and respond to the last email you sent
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Did you buy the blanks and fobs from a dealer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can be in truck and text back and forth
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Were the fobs the correct part number?If you can post from the truck that works or we can continue at your pc if you like.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you give me about 10 minutes and I will send you a I'm back text
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

No problem reply when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I have windows open during process? I have to little key cards like the rewards cards you get from grocery stores etc they have numbers to them but after my husband started trying this yesterday he didn't keep them with what they came with i.e. keys or fobs and to which they went to. I don't believe there are any markings or numbers on keys or fobs
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,I dont show the program sequence myself on this here but someone else here may have this info.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
FYI here are the serial numbers I told you about
184361 and 279681
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If that didn't help let me know and refer me on.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

hi my name is***** master tech, how are you programing these fobs and keys? it should be done with a scanner because you can only have a certain number registered at one time and can only be programed from the master key. others will have to be deleted to accommodate new ones if exceeding the amount. eg: number of master keys and sub keys. also as for the operation of doors locking and unlocking it is under customization settings which again has to be done with a scanner to change your preferences.hope this helps you.

here is the sequence for programing the fobs , but remember as I stated earlier the ECU will only hold a certain amount in it's memory and best to use a scanner. by the way that price the dealer quoted you to program it was outrageous, it should be no more then 1/2 hour labor.

Programming Instructions: Note: This is the same for many Toyota vehicles.

Remove the key from the ignition. Lock all of the doors, but open the driver’s side door. Leave it unlocked. Insert the key into the ignition twice within five seconds. Don’t turn it. Close then open the door twice. Insert the key again then remove it from the ignition.

Close then open the driver’s side door. Close then open the driver’s side door again. Insert the key. Leave it in the ignition. Close the door. Turn the key to “On,” without starting the engine, and then turn it off. Remove the key. You’ll hear the door locks sound.

Push and hold “Lock” and “Unlock” buttons on the remote for two seconds, and then release the buttons. Then push and hold “Lock” for three seconds. The remote is now programmed.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

JUST CHECKING IN HOW YOU MADE OUT WITH YOUR KEY FOBS. SOME TIMES THEY HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND PROGRAMED IN VIA A SCANNER .IS THERE ANY THING ELSE i CAN DO FOR YOU? PLEASE RATE MY ANSWERS