Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

2002 4Runner alarm goes off when I change the battery

Customer Question

2002 4Runner alarm goes off when I change the battery terminal and I have to unhook the battery to kill the alarm. Any advice?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: The battery is 2 years old. Just change the terminal since it is corroded
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Try to at least fix it for now. I only unhook the battery to kill the alarm and rehook it when I need to start up
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

this has a siren under the hood ?

did you know it had an alarm on this truck ? no remotes to shut it off i am assuming ?

did you add this aftermarket alarm ? is there small red blinking light or LED light bulb in the dash ?

can you stuff a rag in the siren so its not that loud and connect the battery then lock and unlock the drivers door from the outside will that shut it off ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No siren, just the honking when the alarm goes off.
I do know I had the alarm when I purchased this SUV. The dealer told me they installed it
Yes, there is a red blinking light under the steering wheel but I rarely see its blinking
This is what I did: I open the hood and unhook the battery to kill the alarm when it goes off, wait 5 minutes, then re-hook the battery to turn on the car. Then I turn off the car, lock all the doors, close the hood (alarm does not go off, so far so good)). Then I unlock the driver door with the key, now the alarm goes off and I have to start the sequence again: open the hood, ......
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

if the dealer said they installed it and unlocking it from the outside of the front doors with the keys then call the dealer and ask them where the off switch is for it

there usually is a small switch or bulletin under the drivers side of the dash or kick panel to shut it off

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a 2002 model and I did call the dealer and they say to bring the car in. No info. provided