Pedro Goncalves
Pedro Goncalves,
Experience:  Licensed Master/Hybrid Technician at Mendes Motors
95810034

I need your help in fixing my Toyota Prius 2005, thanks

Customer Question

Hi, I need your help in fixing my Toyota Prius 2005, thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for posting, have you checked the fuses under the hood in the box near the left headlight, do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
some have power and other do not have power.

Open the red plastic cap , do you have more than 12 volts there at that point?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it has 12.4v

Let me see if I can get my wiring diagram and get back to you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok,thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also would like to mention that the radio and power windows do not work

Check the 100 A DC/DC fuse, does it have power to it and is it intact?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You mean the rectangular long fuse?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it is, it does not have power in it.

Ok then there is the problem, the main fuse before this one is blown, I'm going to look at the fuse box diagram and see where it gets power from, be right back

The rectangular long fuse is an integrated fuse assembly which has many fuses built in, it gets power from the 120A main fuse which is on a fuse block mounted on the positive battery terminal so let's go there first and work up from there, does tis fuse have power on both sides (in and out) or is it blown?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, the long white rectangular box has power when I checked it with the light tester( I thought it is a fuse and tested using multimeter at first time)

Ok, it has power to it but probably an open circuit, let me check to confirm this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But the 5 lettle fuses to the right of it do not have power

You have power coming to the integrated fuse but some segments in it seem to be blown out, the solution is to replace this integrated fuse, you should be able to see one bolt/nut where a heavy cable is attached, there is another one at the other end that is a little harder to remove, you may have to disconnect some connectors and partially take the fuse box assembly apart.

http://priuschat.com/threads/how-to-change-fusible-link-under-hood.96616/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this for sure the only defected part? And why you think made it happen?

It usually happens if by some mistake even for a split second the battery charger or jumper is grounded or reversed

Copy that link into your browser there is some good information there how to replace it, if it doesn't work let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, I did not get the link, thanks

Just highlight it and paste it into your search or address bar

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, can you please let me know, if this fuse was good, what will be the next part to check,thanks

From what you have told me that you have power to the fuse (under the red cover) and the other and some of the other smaller fuses being dead, there is no other logical explanation other than there are some segments in the fuse assembly that are burned out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got it, thank you.

You're welcome , please take a moment to click on a rating button

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure.

Thanks again, good luck

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ted, yesterday I took off the fusable link and checked it carefully, I found that it did not have any signs of blown parts, also it had power in all its parts. When I compared it with other pictures of blown fusable links from the net, I found it different. I do not want to spend $80 for a part that is intact, also I found a warning sign appears on the dashboard looks like a car sign and inside it there is an outlet sign. Also when I connected the OBD2 to check for codes, I got error message, thanks

What error message did you get?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just the word(error)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But the good thing was. The battery was at 2.4 then it went up to 2.6, I do not know what does it mean.
Expert:  Pedro Goncalves replied 10 months ago.
What's the situation with your vehicle?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting me to help fix my car. The car starts after replacing one little fuse but, I got the red triangle sign and check engine light.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car starts after I towed it to a mechanic, but I did not get this warning light before it died and stopped working.
Expert:  Pedro Goncalves replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the delayed answered.
Certain systems need to have power at all times. Specially, when the car detects there's power in other systems. A blown fuse can be a one time thing it can be a warning of a more serious problem, like a short. Fuses should always be checked when there is a problem with a car. It's good practice. Regarding the big red triangle and the check engine light. There's not much that can be done. You can always disconnect the small 12volt battery safely but removing the negative cable only for about 30 minutes and reconnect again. Maybe it will clear the codes. If not, you will have to find a shop that can read codes. Request them to give you a print of the codes and to clear them only. That way you will save money on the diagnostics charges. There's certain codes that don't clear because it's happening right now. So those only clear when the problem is fixed. I hope I was helpful. Please don't forget to rate me. Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your answer, is there any troubleshooting steps to determine whether the ( battery malfunction warning light) is on because of a blown fuse or because the main battery needs to be replaced? Thank you.

If there's a problem with the main battery, the vehicle will not go in to READY mode and will give you a message.

If there's a problem with the small battery, by pressing the button there wouldn't any lights coming on.

A blown fuse will shut down a whole system or/and partial of other systems.

For example, if you have a blown fuse your power windows may not work but all the rest does.

Regarding the lights still being on. Unfortunately, just with the code reader and because it's a Hybrid the code reader should be able to read 7 code digits.

I'm afraid that's the information that I can think of.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will go to make to store read the codes and will let you know, is this fine?

Yes, of course. Hope to hear from you soon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you soon.