Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a dead battery on my 2009 ghlander Hybrid. I need to

Customer Question

I have a dead battery on my 2009 Highlander Hybrid. I need to know how to access the battery so I can jump start it. Because the battery is dead the hatch won't open as it is locked.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I have not checked it with a voltmeter. However, the locks will not unlock and I have no electrical response in the car so I'm pretty sure it's dead. I have jump started my wife's Camry Hybrid before, but have never had any problems with with the Highlander.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to do a jump start myself. The only thing I have done is confirm that there is no electrical response.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The back lift gate is locked (the other doors are unlocked). Because the lift gate operates with an electric motor, trying to open it manually won't work.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am an ASE master tech, glad to help you with this.

Look in the underhood fuse box. Remove the cover. There should be a red plastic cover over a terminal. You can hook the battery charger up here, just find a suitable ground on the engine. STAY AWAY FROM ORANGE CABLES

Please reply to this if you need more help. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate 3 or more starts at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,
I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.
This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.
You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.
Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?
If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.
I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.