Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I do have a little noise coming from either he alternator or

Customer Question

I do have a little noise coming from either he alternator or power steering pump I'm not sure, I'm going to replace the pump this afternoon is that a good idea and when changing it do I need to prime the pump full of oil before installing it and starting the engine & how tight should the power steering belt be?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dan are you still online as I have another question for you Which I've already sent through but here's my question again,
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a little noise coming from either he alternator or power steering pump I'm not sure, I'm going to replace the pump this afternoon is that a good idea and when changing it do I need to prime the pump full of oil before installing it and starting the engine & how tight should the power steering belt be? And if the line is indeed sucking air into the system is there a way to see the air going through the system, like looking at the power steering oil reservoir bottle will that show any indications of air in the system
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
you can prime the pump before installation, but it is not necessary. You can also lift both wheels off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock several times before starting. That will help get some air out of the system.The belt should be tight I would say about 1 inch of deflection. Not too tight, not too loose. This is done by feel.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Sometimes the fluid will foam up in the reservoir indicating that there is air in the system.

If they told you that your rack is leaking then you have air in the system.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks