Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I had a alternator, battery and pulley repaired at the

Customer Question

I had a alternator, battery and pulley repaired at the dealer. While driving home, the check engine and VSC Trac came on. Called the dealer. Suggested I tighten the gas cap, drive it a couple of days and bring it back if the lights are still on. I took it back the following Tuesday. Did an engine check and said it was code po420(catalytic converter) but I could drive it until I came up with 1,500 to repair it. Took it to advanced auto for a engine check. They listed codes c1201, c1223, c1241, c1256 and po420. They also stated the battery cables may not be tight enough and I could take them off and put them back on tighter. I am frustrated. None of this was happening until they made the above repairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JA: Have you checked the gas cap for cracks? Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yes. Has a new gas cap replaced 6 months ago. Fuses appear to be fine.
JA: What year is your C320?
Customer: It's a 2005 Toyota 4 runner
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not removed the cables from the battery. It rides a little sluggish now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your 4Runner.

The P0420 code and the C1256 code will be our main concerns to look at with this. I may have missed it but has anyone cleared all the codes yet, then let you drive it to see if any of them would return?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The dealer did that. They also gave me some fuel injector cleaner (black bottle) to install. I drove home, about 25 miles, and the lights returned with the sluggish drive.