Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

2000 Toyota Camry V6 LE - engine light on. reading codes

Customer Question

2000 Toyota Camry V6 LE - engine light on. reading codes p0420, p0440,p0441,p0446,p0441,p0446.
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Recently the car seems to hesitate while driving at slow speeds after it has been started. Seems to go away after 10 minutes or so. No diagnostic test at this time. 195,000 miles. Complete exhaust system changed including the catalytic converter about a year ago.
JA: What is the model of your '00 Toyota?
Customer: LE??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new gas cap. I might consider trying to fix myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think that is everything
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Do you have the VIN for it? Normally on the door sticker and the left front of the dash.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks..

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

There were some factory service bulletins on some of the US and Canada markets.

M.I.L "ON" P0441, P0446

Under certain driving conditions, some 2000 - 2001 model year CAMRY MCV20, SXV20 may exhibit M.I.L. "ON" with DTC P0441 or P0446 by malfunction of the VSV for pressure switching valve (By pass). An improved VSV is introduced to correct this condition.

Here is a link to what the bulletiln states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the part is about $50. This is beyond my abilities with all of the special equipment. Would I be money ahead to just have them replace the part? The testing procedure in the bulletin is probably more costly rather than the labor of replacing??

Yes, also just be sure that the gas cap is good and there are no leaks in the EVAP system. The tests for it are rather lengthy and a lot of times we will replace an inexpensive part when the labor to test is over an hour, thanks

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,