Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Toyota tundra 08 Cas vehicle wasn't started months while I

Customer Question

Toyota tundra 08
Cas vehicle wasn't started for 2 months while I was out of the country.
I returned and replaced the battery.
Vehicle wants to turn over but doesn't. When I release the key from the start position to the run position the vehicle continue to attempt to start for another 5-10 seconds.
Any idea?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Which engine do you have in your tundra? 4.0l, 4.7l, or 5.7l?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4.7
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

First, take a look at the immobilizer system warning light in the center display- if the light is blinking when the key is on, there is a problem with the immobilizer system.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The immobilizer system is an anti theft device that reads a signal from the key to tell the computer that it's ok to let the engine start. The warning light should look like a key or a lock.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is a car with a key in it flashing. Now what? Please tell me the next step is easy!
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a spare key you could try? It looks like the vehicle isn't reading the signal from the key you are using.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any other keys on the key ring? Sometimes keys from other vehicles will interfere if the correct key's transponder is getting weak.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will check. I'm in the military and home on leave. My spare maybe out of the country. If I don't what is my recourse.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No just the remote for the starter
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Try putting they key in the ignition and turning it to the on position and just leave it on for about 5 minutes. Then try to start it.

If this doesn't work you will need to have an automotive locksmith or the dealership reprogram new keys. They will need the vehicle to do it so a locksmith is usually the cheapest way. They will normally come to you and do it there on site rather than getting it towed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will let you know in about 6 mins
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck. Thank you. I will update when I get it figured out.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Bummer.

I think the next step needs to be getting it checked by an automotive locksmith.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Please don't forget to rate.