Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Engine misfire on 2006 Avalon. What can be done?

Customer Question

I recently had my spark plugs and all coils replaced on a 2006 Avalon XLS. The engine misfire is back. The car has 121000 miles. About 2 hours into a road trip, the CEL and VSC lights come on and I can tell 1 or 2 cylinders are misfiring. If I turn the car off and restart it, the problem goes away. I have already installed a new alternator 4 months ago with a new battery. I will go to the shop but want to get a straight answer. I am tired of going back for the same issue.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.
I would look at a fuel injector problem, you need to know which cylinders are missing. You need a scan tool that is able to view live misfire data. You then can start swapping injectors and see if the misfire follows. If miss does not follow then you need to start a compression test.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan