Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 94 previa le/sc. when I shift it into gear there is

Customer Question

I have a 94 previa le/sc. when I shift it into gear there is a rattling sound on the bottom below the hood on the driver side. there is a small dip stick going into that part and the oil in very low. how do I refill and what kind of oil do I use
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I brought the car last year december and has always made that rattling sound. Its coming fromthe front driver side under the hood and its it run by the serpentine belt
JA: What year is your Previa?
Customer: 94
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yesI'm hoping its just low on oil
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting,

That's a supercharger that was only used for a couple of years, you can add oil to it using something like a syringe or turkey baster into the dipstick tube also make sure the belt is tight as it can also cause the noise. Let me look up what oil is specified and I'll get back in a minute.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks

The Toyota parts department sells a kit that comes with the "syringe" to service the supercharger, it used to be about $50 or so, you'll have to check with them, I have also heard that GM makes a supercharger oil that costs less but I'd recommend the factory oil.

hello, did you have any other questions for me about this?