Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy,
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas

My 2010 Toyota ghlander limited with pushbutton start has

Customer Question

my 2010 Toyota highlander limited with pushbutton start has intermittent start problems, it is at the dealer as I write this,,,,it has 'no start' twice for him, but instruments were not connected,,duh. It has started during the last 19 trys over 2 days.
Last Thursday with our first pushbutton no-start,,,I got in it,,,,moved gear lever in and out of park, stompped on brake, shook stearing wheel,,,waited five minutes and it started. I started next morning to take it in to dealer....BUT, did not start when they were moving it from check-in to shop,,,lol,,,,,,,at least they believed me,,,after a few minutes it started and they have had it for 3 days,,,say they must 'catch' it in the no start condition...I say, check out if all of the switched involved with the start process,,,,,,break switch, stearing lockswitch, etc. to see if the have current problems??,,can you give me some leads to pass on,,,,,,thanks *****
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 3 months ago.

I have been a toyota master tech for many years and have seen this on a lot of push button toyota's and lexus's.

When you go to push the button, the LED on it should be green. If that is the case, I would HIGHLY suggest taking a closer look at the push button switch, that is a very common failure.

IF, the LED on the push button is amber, or red, then there are other issues, that will have codes stored. The fact it is so intermittent, screams push button failure to me. Should be a pretty cut and dry case. Might be worth seeing if they can swap one switch out of another highlander they have and see if that helps.

Or you can just buy the switch and do it your self, as its very easy to do.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to help!