rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

It started chugging and then died, engin light came on few

Customer Question

It started chugging and then died, engin light came on for a few seconds, and then went off , it started back up and the died after a half a block
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1993 Toyota corola
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the fuel pump twice new distributor new wires new plugs new PVC valve PCV valve
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It's done this but I handful of times I'll turn the car off and then it'll start again and drive but then it dies and then sometimes it just runs fine for days and then it happens again
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

We need to find out what we're losing when this happens. When it won't restart, you need to check for spark with a spark tester at the plugs. You also need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not the spark, it starts and revs fine and healthy , I've replaced the fuel pump twice and recently.. It dose this sometimes, and the engine light comes on then goes off, and it started again and died a half a block away, it's started now
And sounds good, but it just died
If I put my foot into the gas it will stay going
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Okay, then it would be best to test the sensors and actuators with a scan tool. We can't guess at this, so we need to know that information. Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.