Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Well... It's a 2000 Camry - and I lost the key fobs a time

Customer Question

Well... It's a 2000 Camry - and I lost the key fobs a long time ago. I thought my brother disabled the alarm system. Guess not. Anyway.. so I needed a new battery tonight. When the autozone guy installed it.. it set the alarm off.. now it won't reset and it won't start. I have no key fob. Now what?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No.. and brand new battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have tried turning the key to half position to reset.. hooked up and rehooked up battery. nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. Need to know how to start car.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If this is the factory alarm system, go to the car, get in, and turn the key from off to on (not to start; just till the lights come on at the instrument cluster) 5 times, then try to start. If this is not a factory system, this procedure will not work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!! Will try it!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I left car at autozone and unhooked battery so it would shut up. So go back... hook up battery... let it start honking...then turn the ignition (where the lights come on) on and off 5 times while it is honking at at me and it should reset; hush and then start?

Perform the key cycling 5 times as the horn is sounding. Do not wait for it to cease.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok great! Thanks a lot!!

You are very welcome. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated.