carguy1, auto technician
Experience:  25 Years experience all makes and models.Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru Tech

My 2012 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid is suddenly getting lower

Customer Question

My 2012 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid is suddenly getting lower mileage. It has gone from between 40-45 mpg to 35-40 mpg. WHY?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  carguy1 replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

first, check those new tires pressures. If they are lower then they were on the other tires, it can cause some extra fuel loss.

Check the air filter, also check the brakes. Sometimes the brake pads will get hung up in the caliper brackets and cause brake drag. This can kill the fuel mileage.

These would be the most common causes of mileage dropping off like that. Finally, if it's over 60k, it could be due for a set of spark plugs.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I checked air in the tires and brakes. Car has only 28K miles. I do not feel it would be fair to you to rate you until you reply to response. In fact, at this point, I'm disappointed with this flippant response.
Expert:  carguy1 replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, you didn't mention that the car only had 28k on it in your first post.

So, Yo checked the brakes, do you mean you took the calipers off and made sure those brake pads were not stuck in the caliper brackets? I see this a great deal and it will drastically reduce the fuel mileage on you.

It is possible that there could be an O2 sensor reading out of range, but most folks don't have a scan tool that can read the fuel trims and the O2 sensor outputs. If you do, please let me know and I will be happy to look at them for you. Since this site is geared more towards DIY folks, I usually try to lead with things you could actually do yourself that do not require $1500 scan tools. I can't just blame a sensor without a way to diagnose it, and I hope you understand why my original response was geared towards items you could look at in the driveway.

You may also consider using the air conditioning could be a factor. All these things add up to lower economy. a difference of 5 psi in tire pressures can have a huge effect. I mean from the tire pressures you had in the original tires.

I will try my best to help you, but need to know your expectations as well since I am not there to see the car, or look at these myself.