Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2003 4Runner won't start, clicking sound from fuse box,

Customer Question

2003 4Runner won't start, clicking sound from fuse box, battery at 12.6v
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No turn over battery about 2 yrs old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Depends on what issue is, hoping it's the relay switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Never had any starting issues until today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, does it have the 6 or 8 cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's the 4.7 v8 limited
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Hello, the first thing is to check that the battery connections are tight and clean, no corrosion or cracked terminals. A single click when turning the key is usually a bad starter which pretty common on these V8 engines.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Connections are clean and solid, it's repeated clicking (tap, tap, tap, tap) until you stop turning the key

Ok, that would indicate a voltage loss between the battery and the starter, do you happen to have a voltmeter? Have you tried a jumper battery or connect a jumper from another car?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do have a voltmeter and I tried jumping it this morning, same noise

Ok, connect the voltmeter to the battery, it should be a little over 12 volts then try to start it and see how much the voltmeter drops down, I still think this is a starter problem but lets see what the voltage does when the starter is trying to engage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
12.46 cold and dropped down to 10.8 or so when trying to start it

That's pot too bad, I still think the starter is the problem but I'm going to opt out and see if another expert will confirm my diagnosis.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.
if the starter us getting voltage on both terminals with the key in the crank position and the starter is not working, the starter is bad and will need to be replaced. Just be sure to check that the engine block/starter has a good ground and that the engine block is not locked up. If all checks out good, the starter is bad and will need to be replaced.