Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2002 Toyota Echo. I would like the person that

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Echo. I would like the person that responds to be a certified Toyota technician with experience with the Echo. My son took the car on a dirt road and I think he high centered at some point. Ever since there is a loud rumbling vibration noise. It is loudest from inside the car, it sounds and feels like it is under the gear shift (it is an automatic). It is hard to hear standing outside the car. It only makes the noise when it is in gear. It is loudest when first starting to accelerate. You can feel it if you put your hand on the center hump inside the car.
I have been working on this for a while. I replaced both the front and rear motor mounts. I thought it might be the automatic tensioner, but this model Echo does not have one. While replacing the mounts I inspected the exhaust and anything I could see. It is not the exhaust.
I noticed something today. When you put it in drive the air filter assembly starts shaking all over the place, however, once you put it in drive and start to accelerate and the noise starts, the air filter assembly stops shaking. I am 56 years old and I have been working on my own cars since I was 16. This one has me stumped.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My names Kurt and I am Toyota Master cert. tech.

Have you checked the exhaust pipe to see if it got crushed at all during the high centering event? Please let me know, and that will give us a direction to go!

Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No problem whatsoever with the exhaust

Well, if that is the case and the exhaust is not crushed or bent right there, I am not sure what could be the issue then.

I will opt out and let another expert attempt this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Different expert here. Based on your statement, I see that you replaced two of the three mounts. There is a third mound under the rear of the transaxle on this model, if my memory serves me correctly. I would check this. If the 'rear' mount you replace is indeed the transmission mount, then that opinion would be moot. What I would do, if all of the mounts are good, is raise the vehicle up in the air, and get a really long, strong pry bar. Get the car running (safely), and start to pry on the trans, the engine, and the front subframe. If the vibration changes in any fashion, something is wrong. Again, assuming that the mounts are good, I would not be surprised to find that the parts that the motor mounts attach to are bent. The position of the engine/transmission in this car is critical. Veer the engine/trans off a small amount (as in as little as 1/2"), you can and will get all kinds of vibrations. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I will give this a try. I'm pretty sure one of the mounts I replaced was the one you are talking about. It was a royal pain in the butt. I'm going to ask a favor. I already paid once about a week ago to a guy here (with a nice tip ) for the wrong answer. I can't try this until Sat. and then I will respond, OK?

No worries. Take all the time you need. I am here to help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will pay you, I just want to make sure we don't have to try something else first.

The above is exactly what I would be doing if your car was in my shop. If the vibration changes, I would next be doing some precise measurements where the mounts hook onto.